In one of my previous articles, I discussed some basic skincare tips for men in which I talked about things like moisturizing daily and using sunblock. Having a skincare routine is immensely important for a well-groomed man. In this article, I would give you a detailed skincare routine I follow along with the products I use.
Products I use:
Morning (post shower): Himalaya Youth Eternity Under Eye Cream, Bull Dog Original Moisturizer, Lakme Sun Expert Ultra Matte lotion
Night (before bed): Biotique Bio Cucumber Pore Tightening Toner, Neutragena Light Night Cream
- Eye Cream – So, this is something that most of you people aren’t using. If you are very young right now, you can probably do away with it. But if you re above 25-26, you should start using an eye cream. Skin around eyes is the first area that starts showing signs of aging. Eye creams will help you age gracefully by working on potential dark circles and wrinkles, especially the dreaded crow’s feet.
- Day Moisturizer – Moisturizing your skin makes it look hydrated and fresh, prevents dullness and flaking and keeps your skin smooth all day long. A common misconception is that using moisturizer on oily skin will cause more acne. In fact, when you cleanse your face, oily skin tends to produce even more oil to combat the dryness. Moisturizing tends to maintain the balance and prevent this to happen. There are many oil-free moisturizers available for oily skin types that won’t cause acne. Bull Dog Original moisturiser is my favourite product. It has all skin friendly ingredients and it smells and feels so natural on the skin. Dries on the skin fast and doesn’t leave an oily shine on the skin.
- Sun Block – Protecting your skin from the UV rays of the sun is not just important to prevent burn, but it is also very important to prevent pre-mature aging. Exposure to sun can cause the skin to develop wrinkles sooner than you might expect. Remember, you need to shield your skin from both UVA rays (which cause skin ageing) and UVB rays (linked to skin cancer). A lot of cheap sunscreens make your skin look oily. But the Lakme Sun Expert Ultra Matte Lotion is one of those reasonably priced products that has a matte finish with absolutely no shine. Although, it leaves a slightly white-ish touch on your face but it’s not really bothering.
- Toner – Most helpful for people with oily skin, or for people who want extra cleansing after wearing heavy skin products like SPF 50 and above. But they have other benefits too making the product useful for everyone. Toners also help in shrinking pores and restoring pH balance of the skin. Just wet a cotton pad with toner and wipe your face with the pad. Biotique Bio Cucumber Toner is a basic product that you can start with. You can move on to more premium segments later when you understand what exactly you want from your toner.
- Night Moisturizer – You might be thinking that why do you need a different moisturizer for night time. Because during the day, the skin needs to be defended from damage by pollution and sunlight. So,our skin goes in a defence mode. Bulk of the repairing, restoring and regeneration of skin takes place at night while you sleep. So, you need a cream more focused on regeneration and moisture as there is no threat of sun and pollution. Neutragena light night cream is the right product for me because my skin gets a little oily in the night and this product helps to control the sebum.
The products I have mentioned are basic (except Bull Dog Moisturizer) and you will find them easily in the market. You definitely can find better products in more premium segments. This is something that works quite well for me. The idea is to give a sense of how a skincare routine should be.